Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

From Singapore to Norway

I'm Singaporean and have been in love with a Norwegian for the last 10 years. During this time we got married, moved in together in Singapore and most amazingly made ourselves a little boy!
I've started writing this blog today because a huge move looms on the horizon for us. My husband may finally be moving back to his beloved home country and of course we are going along.

I hope to share with others the experience of putting all your things in a box ( or large container) and moving to another country for love! Hopefully I will be able to share practical information and not just senseless hopeful, drooly, drivel.

I hope to hear from anyone wearing similar shoes boots and experiencing a big move from Singapore or any other part of the world. Hoping that this blog will be a place for mutual self discovery. Take care all of you, especially the ones looking around their homes now and thinking " will my kitchen aid and oven work (insert appliances of choice) in my new home country!"

Love,
Rita

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rita!
    I found a link to your blog in the comments from Evelyn's blog about her birth experience. I am married to a Norwegian (our 10 year anniversary is coming up in February), and we are moving to Norway in June 2014! We also have a little boy together. I also have an older son from a previous marriage. When are you moving and where are you moving to? I'm glad to find your blog and will start reading.
    Good luck, and nice to meet you!
    Hilarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hilarie,

    Wow! The funny thing is my husband and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary too! Ok but we have been married 5 years and been together 5 years before that. We are moving to Trondheim in April 2014. Just a few months to do everything necessary. How old is your little one and the older one? My son is 15 months now. We can definitely hook up or share experiences with each other. I'm always contactable by email Hilarie. I find it amazing how we can meet people undergoing similar situations in life all over the world. Where are you moving to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    How funny! We are eventually going to end up in Trondheim. We are moving June 2014, and I have to finish up my degree over the summer at UiO. We will be staying with my husband's parents in Møre og Romsdal before we move to Trondheim. My two boys are 13 and 8. I have not blogged in a long time because school is so insane for me right now but my blog is here: http://justtryingtohangout.blogspot.com/. Also, I don't know if you have seen these or not but there are a lot of groups on Facebook for expatriates in Norway. I follow a group called Americans in Norway and have gotten a lot of good advice and ideas about moving, what to expect, etc. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hei!
    Yippee Trondheim! Feel free to contact me about anything when you get there, and we must meet up. I'm following Singaporeans in Norway on facebook and I've got a lot of support from the community there already. Good to feel you are not alone. Your kids will be adjusting to new schools so I think that's way bigger for you. Shall start reading your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rita,

    I stumbled upon your blog as I was looking for some information on residing in Norway.

    I'm dating a Norwegian and was told that I will eventually have to give up my Singapore citizenship if i move to Norway and we have kids. Did you have this issue when u moved?

    Would appreciate you advice on this. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa- I don't think giving up citizenship is a must - if you get a permenant residence here. However, the requirements for keeping that is a little strict (having to spend a certain period in the country) so some people consider a citizenship here - only then do you need to give up Sg citizenship. That's as far as I know. Hope that was helpful

    ReplyDelete